Sunday, September 11, 2016

I Swore I Wasn't Going But ...

A friend talked me into going to the Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival. (Don't you love how it's not my fault?) "But I'm on a yarn diet!" I protested.
"It would be a great place to sketch," she countered.
How could I turn down an offer like that?
 So, we headed off to look at these guys and, yes, we just had to wander through the market. I was quite restrained, but couldn't resist this pattern and yarn. If you look closely, you can see that the buttons have little bikes on them. The whole package is from Jenny the Potter's booth.
 I asked Jenny how our festival compares with Rhinebeck and the Maryland festival. She said that those festivals draw a lot more people and are more profitable, which makes sense, given the population density on the East Coast. However, she lives in Minnesota, and enjoys how easy it is to get to Jefferson, Wisconsin, and the mellow nature of our festival.

And, yes, there was drawing. We perched ourselves on the bleachers and watched some of the competitions:
Full disclosure: There was one  other purchase but that deserves its own post!

12 comments:

  1. I'm so envious of your Jennie the Potter purchase! She is always mobbed at Rhinebeck and I've never been able to buy anything from her! High school was a tougher transition for me too, so hang in there. I'm sure my personal life affected my first week this year and seriously hoping it improves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your drawing is just PERFECT! Glad you had a good time at the festival AND helped support a small business person too! Sounds like a win for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am envious of your drawing skills.....I should try! I'm glad you went and I'm super glad you went off that yarn diet. I need more yarn like I need another hole in my head (a gram saying...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I'm so glad you got to go and I love your sketch! I was just thinking today that I want to draw some sheep...you beat me to it :) I lived across the Hudson River from Rhinebeck and went to some events where the Wool Festival is held, but sadly never to the Festival. Near me in Oregon there is a Flock and Fiber Festival that I have attended a number of times...even took my Joy spinning wheel once to spin wool which I really enjoyed. Hope you have a good week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you succumbed to the temptation! I have absolutely NO reason/need/desire for more yarn (cross out that 'desire'...always have that) and yet, next month, I'm going to Rhinebeck. EEEK. I'm taking my version of the sketchpad----my camera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be thrilled to be going to any sheep and wool festival. I have been to Rhinebeck twice and I fear now it is so popular that you would barely be able to see a thing. I love your purchase.
    Hugs,
    MEredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your sketch and the buttons - so cute. I've been to MD Sheep & Wool the past two years and this past year it was just way too crowded for me. It's hard to move around and harder still to get to the vendors you really want to see/purchase from. I went to a small festival up in the Finger Lakes region the other year and even though there were not as many vendors or animals, I liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just reading about this Fest and wondered if you went. Now I know! I love the fall (ish) festivals the best. That's when I am in the mood to hang around the woolly stuff plus you can usually pick up some great produce. Is it too early for apples?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sweet sketch and I love your pattern and the yarn. Those mits are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun and impromptu trip! Sometimes those are just the best! Beautiful photos and drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice yarn find. I love the s and w fest there. Didnt make it this year...but there's next! We can meet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such a talented sketcher! Great yarn choice; I LOVE the color. What are you going to make?

    ReplyDelete