Tuesday, April 19, 2016

One Done And One Begun

We are into the fourth quarter at school. That may sound like the end is in sight. Not yet! I have a growing pile of paperwork. If paperwork was a good strategy for teaching, my students would be geniuses! Alas, that is not the way it is working out.

But there is always knitting to get my mind off work. My Antarktis shawl is ready for blocking. It doesn't look like much yet, but I'm sure it will be wonderful after blocking. It is a really fast and easy knit. I tend to drag my feet on blocking -- am I alone? This photo does not do justice to the Eden Cottage yarn.
I immediately cast on Reyna, another shawl:




It is a free pattern, quite easy and fast. And isn't the yarn gorgeous? It is Mountain Colors Twizzle.

I bought the yarn for both these shawls at the Madison Knitters Guild Knit-In in March, and I'm glad I gave way to temptation. Both are fairly difficult to get, even online!

I'm still reading Jacksonland by Steve Inskeep, and it is turning upside down the history I learned in high school. I was taught that Jackson was a president for the common people. Not! He was quite an elitist. Even more, I'm struck by how some things never change. At the same time he was negotiating with Native Americans for their land as a government official, he was buying up that same land while it was cheap. Sigh.

I'm joining up with Ginny for Yarn Along. See you there!

12 comments:

  1. Love both your shawls! Amazing how textbooks give a sanitized version of history, isn't it? I just finished Baker Towers and enjoyed it; next up for our book club is Under a Wing by Reeve Lindbergh. Should be interesting. Sorry about all that paperwork; you're right it's not very helpful for learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the season for shawls. Congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty shawls. I love to see the magic of blocking lace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful shawl, I drag my feet in the middle of the knitting project, once it's off the needles, I'm blocking as fast as I can!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never blocked anything! Then about a year or so ago, I tried it out and boy does it make a difference!! But I still hate doing it - LOL! And drag my feet - but eventually get it done!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that finished shawl. My daughter and I tend to put off blocking too. You are not alone! What will you do For Passover this year?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see the shawl blocked. Best of luck with all the paperwork.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elegant even without blocking! I have yet to knit anything complicated enough to need blocking, so I am impressed you need to block something, and I love the colors of your new project :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh Mountain Colora Twizzle, I love you. And who doesn't love the word Twizzle anyway! Xoxo Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your finished shawl and I think Reyna is in my queue! I think I'll do a KAL with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your finished shawl looks beautiful. Wish you could send it to me, I would happily block it for you...I love finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your shawl is awesome! I love the yarn too! I need to check out the Knit-In this next year!

    ReplyDelete