Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Overcoming SSS

Yes, the dreaded Second Sock Syndrome. I don't usually fall victim to this insidious malady, but something has been keeping me away from the second sock for the Bat Mitzvah girl. In the last few days, though I got strict with myself:
You can't tell, but I have just started the heel flap, so I think I'm over the hump with this sock, the second of the Rosa Rubiginosa Socks. I'm itching to try a new sock pattern, but I am trying to be more focused with my knitting.

I finished reading Evicted and I have to say that author Matthew Desmond hit a home run. This book about 8 families who are evicted in Milwaukee reads like a heart-breaking novel because the writing is as strong as the research. The daily grind of poverty creates a parallel universe to the one the rest of us live in. I see the fallout in my students, and it was hard to read about what their parents go through. One mother of two boys had to make more than 80 calls to find a new apartment.
Last night, I started Jacksonland by Steve Inskeep (yes, of NPR!). I tend to like history written by journalists because they focus on accuracy and good writing, and this one is off to a good start.  Tonight, I hope to also begin The Sellout, a satirical novel that was on a lot of the best-book lists of 2015.

It's been an eventful week at school. I don't think it's a coincidence that some of our struggling students' families have been evicted in the last few years. I'm hoping for a couple quieter days now. Friday is a staff development day, so at least that will be one quiet day!

Joining up with Ginny for Yarn Along.

12 comments:

  1. I suffer from SSS quite often! Lovely stitches though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate it when SSS strikes and you have a deadline....if you need a cheerleader, I'm there for you!!! (Two books I've not heard about...and both sound like winners. Will be looking them up pronto!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give yourself a special reward you really want when you finish SS...chocolate, new shoes, special movie. Xoxo .. Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. The home of the Washington Redskins new stadium caused our students to all be put our of their homes the year it was built. We had people living in our parking lot in their cars so their kids could stay in school. They got vouchers from the state for housing that no one would accept. It was so sad.
    That first sock is so pretty but I get SSS. I have SS right now. I want to do anything but finish the socks I have on the needles. Must be spring fever-if it ever gets here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am well acquainted with SSS and just hope it's not fatal. I need to be more disciplined but have startitis also! LOL Thanks for the book suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SSS.....gets to the best of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you do get through your sss, the sock is way too pretty to ignore for long :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep going on your second sock! It is beautiful! :) Enjoy the quiet Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting, I think I had a bit of SSS as well. I had a few no knitting days and then last night I stayed up (WAY TOO LATE) and managed to comlete the heel flap and heel. Now ... I'm ready to finish. Here's to second socks for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheers for the second sock progress and your interesting reading! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ick SSS is tricky, glad you've managed to get some work done on them. I think getting started again is the hardest part. Love that shade of blue with the lacey pattern

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't knit socks anymore for just that reason, and because I rarely wear them in Florida. Good luck on your finish.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete