Sunday, April 17, 2016

Finally Spring!

I had almost given up hope that the temperatures would warm and flowers would appear. But spring has finally sprung, and our backyard is filled with scilla:
Such happy little flowers!

Keith and I spent much of Saturday indoors, cooking and cleaning because we were hosting a birthday party for a friend. As always, I made THE cupcakes. The recipe, Cappuccino Chip Cupcakes, is actually quite simple and can be found in Cupcakes! From the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn.
 It's worth tracking down this book. It is truly the best cupcake book out there. And this recipe never fails to impress. It's kind of embarrassing because it is so simple.

My friend Debbie arrived at the party with presents for everyone. She had found cheap tickets to Beijing (yes, China! Who knew you could fly cheaply halfway around the globe?) and taken her family for spring break. She brought back half a dozen or so amazing tea cups. Mine features cherry blossoms:
And they all have this amazing build-in tea strainer, which drains nicely into the lid:
Pretty amazing friend, huh? Thank you, Debbie. I am so lucky to have you for a friend!

Today I took advantage of this beautiful weather by biking and sketching with a friend. Here is the view of Picnic Point from the Lakeshore Path. Not my best drawing, but it's OK just to practice, right?
 It was the first day that we could hang out on the screened porch, and Naji was the first one to enjoy the sun.
Tomorrow it's back to school. Some weekends are just too short! At least Naji will be home to enjoy the weather.

7 comments:

  1. Isn't it great when the weather is nice on the weekend instead of during the week? Glad you had a couple of beautiful days! And hurrah for screened porches! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that cup. Of course the Chinese would have the art of tea straining perfected. I think I have your kitties twin sister. My Gracie looks just like Naji.

    ReplyDelete
  3. China gifts! So nice.
    Our cats are loving the warm porch weather as much as I am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! I now know the name of that beautiful flower I see every spring. I also absolutely love The Cake Doctor Cookbooks! I have 3- the Cakes, Chocolate Cakes and Quick meals. The cake ones are so thumbed through the pictures have fallen out. My kids (two are in college now) would pick there cake out by the picture every birthday. The funny thing is I worked assisting cooking classes and I knew my cakes (cheating) were sometimes better than theirs! I once had a chef ask for the pound cake recipe and I kinda cringed giving it to her- but whatever works, especially with a full house of kids! http://sweettobe.blogspot.com/2016/03/spring-pound-cake.html LOve the tea cup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you had a happy weekend...even if not long enough:) I love your pretty, clever tea cup; and thanks for sharing your beautiful sketching even if you are not entirely pleased with it...I admire it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing such wonderful things with us this weekend! I hope you are still able to enjoy the weather, even with school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This spring has been so incredibly glorious!

    And, I LOVE your new tea cups. What a lucky gift to receive.

    xoxo Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete