Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Still Chugging Along

I'm mostly working on the same projects I was last week. I finished the hand of my first-ever mitten design:
As you can see, the top is way too pointy so I'll need to rip that back. I've done this type of thumb before, so I'm almost ready to knit the first "real" model. I'm excited about that.

Monday night was the Madison Knitting Guild, and the president announced that we are up to 637 members. Pretty amazing, huh? Yes, I realize how lucky I am! The speaker is a national Knitting Guild master knitter, and she talked about the process. It involves knitting a lot of swatches and a few garments. Her Aran-style sweater is amazing:
The process sounds interesting and worthwhile. I don't see myself doing it because there is much that I want to knit that I think I'd get frustrated spending my knitting time on swatches.

I'm trying to get through Outline, and I am about to admit defeat. The writing is beautiful and the level of detail is impressive, but the story is totally lost -- to me, at least. 

I'm joining up with Ginny today for Small Things.

15 comments:

  1. Love your mitten and the way it doesn't pucker. (That's my prob. with fair isle.) I'm working my way slowly through John Adams by McCullough. It's interesting but long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same pointy problem with a pair of Selbu mittens I made a few years ago. Some people like that pointy look-me not so much. Happily, it's a quick fix. Your Fair Isle patterns are lovely. You need to sell that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mitten patterning is adorable. Love those snowflakes. Looks like you just have a little bit to rip back. That shouldn't be too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your mitten - it looks great! I love the motif just below where you decreased at the top. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reducing can be so tricky! Looks great though! Xoxo Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful glove! Maybe I should put something like this on my list for future knitting challenges :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a HUGE guild membership. My Allison is trying to get her master knitters....I know she can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pointy top and all, I love those mitts !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am audio-booking The Choice and I am just not into it, but doing it as a "read" along with friends, so I will persevere. Love the mitten!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful mitten!!! love love love the colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those mittens look fab, despite the pointy-ness! I love the colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the colourwork of your mitt, the pointy top will be fixed in a flap. How exciting to get to the next stage, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your mitten - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mittens are fantastic, I am so excited for you making up your own pattern.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete