Sunday, January 31, 2016

A Short Time in Knitting Heaven

I was lucky to spend Friday evening and all of Saturday at the Sun Valley Fibers January Thaw, knitting, laughing, and buying (a reasonable amount) of yarn.
Sun Valley Fibers is run by Jeanette and her husband George, who have a farm in southwest Wisconsin. They dye up rich colors on a variety of artisan yarns. Three years ago they started up a retreat right here in Madison. How can I not go? No travel costs and I can drive home each night. Although, next year I'm going to spend one night at the hotel. It doesn't quite feel like a get-away when you drive home!

Isn't this sweater gorgeous? It's knit from SV yarns. I thought they said the pattern was the Hero Sweater, but I can't find it on Ravelry, so I'll have to track it down. (I just realized I forgot to take pix of my purchases and now it's dark! I'll have to post them later.)
Even with going home at night, it was a lot of fun. I met up with some of my favorite knitters and met new people from Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago, and the Twin Cities. Just spending time with so much of Jeanette's yarn is inspiring.

I had a lovely, mellow day today hanging out with my parents. But now I'm home and it's Sunday evening and I have to get ready for the week!


12 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! Good luck this week; I have two workdays before new kids on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! And yes, I think it'd be fun to have at least one night at the hotel without having to drive home, so plan on that for next year!

    I think the pattern you're looking for is "Hiro" by Julia Farwell Clay. Looks like you had lots of lovely colourways to pick from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great time! I've met them when they came to Yarnover here in MN. Beautiful yarn colors. I'm curious as to what colors you purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heaven is right!!! That sweater is certainly the cure for the winter blues. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic weekend! We have a "Knit camp" here in the fall, but it's crazy expensive. Maybe one day - a whole weekend of knitting is very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aren't you a lucky duck! the yarns look so pretty and I agree that the sweater is gorgeous! glad you spent time with your family as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, lovely. I just might have passed out from all the yarn fumes! xoxo Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you had fun in Knitting heaven!!! Making me jealous. This is the perfect time of year for a knit away

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dreamy yarn. Sounds like it was a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. IT sounds like Heaven!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a fun weekend, and looks like you scored some beautiful yarn. I went to a new yarn shop last Friday called Mad Cow (funny name, eh?) and succumbed to some new yarn also.

    ReplyDelete