Monday, January 18, 2016

A Very Small Knit Along

At the Madison Knitting Guild a couple months ago, my friend Marsha and I decided to do a knit-along. Every month we swear we aren't going to be tempted by the vendors at the meeting, and most most months we fail.

One of the vendors  was Ewetopia, a store about an hour away, in Viroqua. Owner Kate Ashley-Wright is a talented dyer and designer, and there was lots of yummy stuff to look at and pet. One of her kits on display was the Winter Ridge poncho (she calls it a cowl shawl). We didn't think much about it until we noticed that a good number of the other knitters were wearing it.

Then we fell in love with it, and decided to knit it together in a gray cashmere/silver mohair  combination.

It's good thing that we decided to work on it together. You start at the bottom with a loopy edging with is very pretty, but also quite tricky to figure out. It took both of us to figure out the directions and get it right.

I am sure Marsha will finish far ahead of me. Not only does she knit faster -- she's a picker and I'm a thrower -- but she is retired! That's OK. I love the way this is coming out and it will be worth the wait.

16 comments:

  1. I'm glad you shared the link. What a stunning creation it is. You go at your own pace..she can hit the bumps first !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to hurry up and knit a poncho before it's summer. It's on my list for the year, for sure! xoxo Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo I like the look of that yarn, hopefully the cashmere makes it nice and soft and cosy. I remember itchy mohair sweaters my Aunt made me as a child. And I guess a poncho goes over top clothing anyway so it doesn't matter. Love the colour

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grey cashmere and silver mohair? What's not to like? It's gonna to be awesome, I bet, and I can't wait to see it in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So soft! I want to take a nap in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the colors; i'm sure i'll LOVE the FO!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is going to be so soft! I cannot wait to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty yarn and good luck! I've had a devil of a time on the last couple of patterns I have tried....sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW. What a pattern. So delicate and beautiful. Can't wait to see yours done :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, that's going to be gorgeous! Also, I love Collectivo coffee -- wish we had that in Detroit. :) We do have Great Lakes Coffee, though, which is quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, the shawl looks gorgeous and that yarn will be devine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cashmere and mohair, my hero! I struggle with the mohair and have sworn it off (at least for now) and I do mean literally. Backing out mohair made me one angry sailor, ha!

    I love your colorway choices and look forward to your knit up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a wonderful pattern. I love that you have such wonderful knitting friends to share knitting adventures with.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am loving how very fluffy your knit is!! Try as I might, I always cave and buy something whenever there is wool involved :) Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, that is going to be lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty! It's a winner and looks cozy and warm, just perfect for winter. Looks like I need to take a trip to explore the yarn shops in So. WI!

    ReplyDelete