Monday, July 28, 2014

The Kindness of Knitters

So far, this summer has been the best of summers and the worst of summers. I am really loving my graduate writing class and we have had mild, lovely weather so I often bike the 14-mile round-trip to and from class.

However, my son has been quite ill and they can't figure out what it is. He has had flu-like symptoms for a long time and his bloodwork keeps coming back with odd results. We are now waiting for the results of the most recent tests. Of course, I am worrying about him all the time. It's almost harder to have him sick now that he is 26 and lives on his own. At least when he was little I could keep a close eye on him!

Sorry about the sideways photo. Sometimes I don't really get my i-Phone!
So in the midst of this, I was lucky enough to win a a Helen Stewart pattern from the lovely Deb Hickman of A World of Imagination (which you must check out if you aren't already a reader). When I wrote to thank her, I told her about my son -- and she added a second pattern. I am so touched. Knitters are truly the best, kindest people. I do appreciate all of you who read and comment here. I'm sure I don't say it enough, but you are all wonderful and you make a difference to me!

I looked through my stash, but I truly don't have anything that is just right for the Pebble Beach Shawl. I like the hombre coloring style that Deb is using, so I looked through the projects on Rav and discovered the beautiful skein you see above from Art-by-Ana. Check out her Etsy shop -- but be forewarned, you are going to have a hard time not buying something. She has an amazing color sense, and I love the way my "cake" (as she calls it) feels.

If only I didn't have so much homework tonight. I can't wait to swift up the "cake" and cast on!

6 comments:

  1. Hope they figure out what is wrong with your son and that he is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we never stop worrying when we're a mom, do we?.....do hope they track down what's going on. I know you can never be happier than your most unhappy child. bummer.

    that winning skein, though, i'm sure brought a little twinkle to your day----it's gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your class is winding down soon! And I also hope they figure out what's going on with your son; that must be very worrisome. Hugs! Gorgeous yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no I hope they figure out what's up with your son...not knowing is so tough

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your son gets answers and starts to feel better soon. Love that yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts are with you and your son as he goes through this difficult time. Have they checked out Lyme's Disease? It just seems that so many people have it and it takes on a different form with everyone.

    How thoughtful to have included two pattern, and that yarn is scrumptious.

    You are in my thoughts my friend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete