Sunday, June 29, 2014

Wisconsin's Answer to Cape Cod

OK, so it isn't quite Cape Cod. There's no ocean, no Kennedy compound, no Martha's Vineyard. But Wisconsin's Door County holds its own. Door County is the top half of the state's "thumb." Surrounded by Green Bay (yes, that's the Packers) and Lake Michigan, it is dotted with sailboats and cute little towns. It has long been a favored destination for the upper crust from Chicago.

Keith and I started off our first day here with breakfast at the Summer Kitchen. It's one of our favorite restaurants here.

Then we came home and napped before setting out on our bike rides. Separate bike rides. I can't keep up with Keith -- nor do I even want to bike 50 miles in one day. I poked around Ephraim, possibly the cutest of the little towns along Green Bay. I stopped to paint for a while; then met up with Keith for ice cream at Wilson's:

Now we are back at our little cabin (more on that later), which is just north of Ephraim. Keith is relaxing, but I need to do some homework. I start a graduate class on teaching writing in about a week.

I suspect there will be knitting later.

6 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful! I love Door a County. We are going back there in October and I am tickled pink about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a wonderful place to vacation. Love the crazy flowers on your breakfast place.

    You asked what a stitch fixer is: It's a tool with a hooked end for pulling out errant stitches or laying stitching (like keeping the satin stitches on the sheep straight). The other end is an open eyed needle. You use that to poke short threads from one side of the fabric to the other. I don't think I've ever used that end. But, it's there if I ever want to. (I broke my other stitch fixer by pulling too hard and the little needle part snapped.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Door Co, my SIL's have a home on the water just south of Egg Harbor, it is so beautiful there.
    Have fun,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh Door COunty. Love Fish creek. Love Peninsula State, love Wilson's

    LOVe the drive up

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy Door County and be sure to visit the yarn shop! It's a nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds dreamy! The ice cream shoppe looks so charming. Naps and bike riding ... swoon!

    ReplyDelete