Monday, June 23, 2014

I Highly Recommend

I read this book for my book group and I actually liked it:



This is unusual. I tend to hate the books the group chooses. But I -- and everyone else in the group -- really enjoyed this novel. So did my mom, who was reading it at the same time for her book group.

Khaled Hosseini is the author of The Kite-Runner, and I was sure that this would be the same book in a different cover. But it isn't. It's a tightly plotted story spanning more than half a century and extending from Afganistan to Greece to the United States. Even though there is a large cast of characters, they are vividly sketched and easy to keep track of.

The theme of caretaking and sacrifice runs through the book, unifying the subplots. All of the women in my book group are mothers and all have taken care of their parents at times, so there was a lot of fodder for discussion.

What books do you recommend this summer?

6 comments:

  1. well I am reading Popultaion 485. ITs GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the WOOL omnibus and really liked that. Right now I'm reading Skippy Dies and I'm struggling a bit with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, sounds good! I just read Life After Life and would recommend it, esp if you are interested in England from WWI thru WWII as a setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent - I'll pop it on my list in the library...I'm fresh out of reads at the moment so it's perfect timing.....I often end up watching TV rather than reading because I find it too hard to knit and read at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. DD#2 gave me that book a while ago, and it's on my list. Think I'll try to get the bookclub to do it. What did you think of The Fault in the Stars?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this book is on the shelf somewhere. I'll have to take a look and add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete