Friday, August 23, 2013

My Body is Home But My Mind ....

is still here:

This is the quintessential Copenhagen scene. Nyhavn is the old harbor and still one of the most beautiful places I've been. As hard as it was to leave Denmark, it was even harder to leave my daughter back at her home in Washington, DC -- as well as my brother and his family. In my perfect world, all the people I love would live in the same city as I do!

My daughter, who has absolutely no interest in knitting, helped me find a yarn store in Copenhagen. Somehow we had the wrong address, but Rachel figured it out. Then she waited patiently while I examined the wares at Sommerfuglen, which was a moderate walk from our hotel:


I had done my research so I knew that this is the premier yarn store in Copenhagen. As you can see, it was filled with yummy stuff. They also had some gorgeous knits on display:


The selection of yarns was brought and lovely, albeit expensive. This is not a place to go for cheap yarn. Much to my surprise, the prices on given yarns were no higher than they are in the United States. As advertised, the staff is friendly and helpful.

I simply could not leave empty handed, and ended up with a couple of "souvenirs":


The skein toward the top is Hand Maiden Casbah, a luxurious mix of merino, cashmire and nylon. I have no idea of what I'm going to do with it, but I had to have it! The colors are so rich and deep. I'd heard about but never seen this yarn before. It's a pricey one, and I just wasn't willing to buy it over the Internet.

Below that is a second ball of Crazy Zauberball. I wrote about discovering this yarn a few weeks ago here. I am still knitting on that scarf and love it so much that I have to make another one in this colorway.

Speaking of colors, do you see a pattern there?

Now I need to go back on a yarn diet -- just as I need to stop with the chocolate-filled croissants that you find all over Europe!

2 comments:

  1. You made some great choices in yarn. I look forward to seeing what you knit up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum croissants. I don't know, on vacations I think yarn diets are out the window! I LOVE the colors you picked, I can see why you were drawn to them :)

    ReplyDelete