Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Hamlet and Knitting

Yesterday Rachel and  I took a whirlwind bus tour so we could see castles and Viking ships that are 30 to 45 miles outside of Copenhagen. I generally avoid tours because I like to go at my own pace, but there were so many places we wanted to see.

The first stop was to see Kronborg castle in Helsingor. This is the castle were Shakespeare set Hamlet. It is the oldest standing castle in Denmark and a World Heritage Site:


Next we headed to Hillerod to see the Frederiksborg castle. First we stopped on town for lunch. A half block from the cafe I spotted this:


Yes, it is a yarn store! I rushed in and quickly bought this:

I know nothing about this yarn, but I like the colors and it is a brand I had not seen before. I will have to check it out on Ravelry when I get home.

I am glad that I rushed in the store because the castle is magnificent.

This  Renaissance castle was built in the 16th century by King Christian IV, and it is the ultimate fairy-tale castle. We walked through it in wonder.

We finished the day by touring a cathedral and the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde.


It was a great day, made even greater by sharing it with my daughter!






4 comments:

  1. Awesome trip, especially with your girl!! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures. Those castles are beyond gorgeous!

    Glad you got a little yarn souvenir too. Happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you are having an amazing time. So many sites to see! Lovely yarn also, I always try and go for colors/brands I can't get elsewhere whenever I travel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the brightly colored yarn! Yarn is the best travel souvenir in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete