Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I Am Smitten

After a long wait, I finally got to the top of the queue at the public library and was able to pick up this book:


I'd become kind of lazy about cooking lately, so I really needed something to kick-start my kitchen activities.This book was the perfect solution. The pictures, the descriptions, the recipes -- all of those elements make this book inspiring.

No doubt, some of you are already with the Smitten Kitchen, which began (and continues) as a blog. Author Deb Perelman lives in New York City and makes her magic in a very small kitchen. She churns out recipes that produce flavorful results without using exotic ingredients -- and she succeeds.

Every one of the recipes I've whipped up has been fabulous:

  • Tres Leches Rice Pudding
  • Wild Rice Gratin with Kale, Caramelized Onions, and Baby Swiss
  • Tomato Glazed Meatloaves with Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes
I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have finally found a kale recipe that is delicious -- not something I'd eat for health reasons only. And I don't think I'll ever make mashed potatoes again without browning the butter.

One thing to note: This is not a "health" food kind of book. Deb Perelman does not shy away from cream or butter or sugar. That said, there are many healthy recipes, including the Gratin I mentioned above.

And if you think you don't like rice pudding, try the tres leches version. It is amazing.



1 comment:

  1. Hi! I came over to say thanks for your comment on my Special Schools post, and discover another shared interest...I've followed Smitten Kitchen for over a year, and LOVE Deb's writing and recipes! I'm the owner of a small kitchen too, and it always inspires me that Deb can create such beautiful dishes in a tiny space.

    ReplyDelete