Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Spring Break Is Awesome!

I love my job teaching middle school Really, I do. But it isn't easy and I'm often exhausted. So, it's no wonder that I'm enjoying our spring break.

Yesterday I had to cancel all my plans so I could stay home to get our boiler fixed. It's still winter here, so we did not want to be without heat. I made the best of it by trying my hand at a new (to me) craft:

Carving my own rubber stamps. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time. It's obvious why a coffee cup was my first project! I don't know if you can tell, but the pattern on the cup is supposed to be Holstein -- as in the cows. Black and white Holsteins is the main breed you'll find in Wisconsin because they produce a lot of milk.

I decided to do the cupcake because I need to make up a new batch of birthday cards. It was a lot harder than the coffee cup.

Here's a bit of my process. I used square blocks that were really easy to carve. They don't have any packaging, so I can't tell you what they are or how to find them. I get them at a local store.

 Everything I know about stamping, I learned from this book:
Author Gennine Zlatkis is a fabulous and inspiring artist. You can check out her blog here.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! Love the cupcake and the coffee cup. They'll make darling birthday cards.

    ReplyDelete