Saturday, January 19, 2013

Taking The Plunge

A while ago I knit a Shalom Cardigan. It's a popular project. Many people have made and loved it. Mine ... well, I would not call it a success. It was too small for me, and I have yet to find anyone who both fit into it and liked it.

I've never been into the swatching thing and I've been afraid of the whole idea of fitting a sweater.

But, I've walked out on the diving board and taken the plunge:

This is the first sleeve (not quite completed) of the Crayon Box Jacket by Chris Bylsma. It's a clever concoction built with mitered squares.

I know I can do mitered squares because years ago I knit this blanket, which is now a free pattern. I did the version in the third picture of the linked page -- and it is adorable. I actually made two, and I highly recommend it.

Some years ago, my friend Tsela showed up in a Crayon Box. I loved it and begged for the pattern name. She couldn't find it -- nor could I figure out the right keywords to find it on Rav.

But this pattern turned up again in my life on Thanksgiving. The awesome Tam (girlfriend to my cousin Dan) showed up wearing the most amazing one. You can catch a glimpse of it here, but the photo doesn't do it justice. It's made of her handspun and the colors are amazing.

Thanks, Tam, for inspiring to try a sweater! And here's how I'm going to thank you:

Hey, readers, Tam has an really funky Etsy shop -- TamirisMadeMe -- featuring (among other things) doll clothing and crocheted Cubimals. Stop in here.

4 comments:

  1. Very complicated looking pattern! I hope it fits!!!! I'm afraid of sweaters for the same reasons :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello ! I love Chris Blysma and have a couple of her patterns that I just haven't made...yet. Kudo's to you for making a jacket with such small pieces. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for taking on this sweater! Can't wait to see pics as you progress. Love the mitered blanket

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's going to be amazing and so colorful!

    My mom ended up LOVING the aqua-colored Shalom I knit her. She even wore it to church on Christmas Eve (with a black turtleneck and black slacks -- she looked awesome). I'm sure your will work well for someone!

    ReplyDelete