Sunday, October 15, 2017

Swimming in Stitches

I can't be the only Midwesterner who is obsessed with the ocean.  Most of the planet is covered with water, but so many of us have to settle for lakes or rivers when we're longing for water. I am never surprised by how expensive it is to live near the sea because I can't imagine anything better (unless there's a hurricane, of course).
I have two watery projects going. One is a summer dress that I'm turning into a seascape with phantasy phish based on 19th-century drawings.
This project is pure fun. I just start stitching and go with the flow. Very relaxing!

The other is my main quilting project, which will go on display this winter at Madison's Overture Center. This has been a lot of work, but I'm nearing the end. 
Here's a sneak peak at the fringe. I hope it gives a watery feel.

I hope your weekend has been more relaxing than mine. I volunteered to be a proctor the PSAT on Saturday. Yes I was paid, but a six-day week is exhausting! This would be a great retirement gig, though. That leaves one day for getting my livf in order and doing the homework for the mindfulness class I'm taking.

And my embroidery club at school starts up on Wednesday, so I'm washing muslin as I type, so the kids will be able to dive right in. Then I'll need to cut it up and zigzag the edges so they don't unravel. There are times when my sewing machine is my best friend.


14 comments:

  1. I adore the fringe! Definitely gives me a watery feel!
    We will break ground soon on our dream house with a view of Pacific--can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your fish are delightful! I cannot imagine doing Saturday PSAT....after working monday thru friday, so you get a gold star from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All those beautiful blues!!!They certainly do invoke the sea!!!

    Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your embroidery. It's so creative and fun. I struggle with simple french knots so I know it's not as easy as you make it look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i know what you mean about the water....and about having to 'settle'. I need an ocean 'fix' every couple years. Love your watery projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Those fish are stunning! And, that beaded fringe reminds me of graceful coral! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your talents never cease to amaze me! Your work is fabulous.

    An embroidery club? I love that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent hand embroidery and beading! I love the seascape creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phabulous phish! They almost inspire me to do something similar. (Almost. I dislike doing embroidery.)

    We live next to a lake, so I get my fill of water, but I often get a strong desire to hear seagulls, aka rats with wings. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful stitching my friend. I hope you have done better with the mindfulness course than I did. It was 8 weeks long and I tried so hard but fell back into my very hurried life once it was over. No deep breaths or time to be quiet. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just read that there is a book called BLUE mind which highlighs the benefits of people being around water. I have to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! Your fish are so beautiful. That will be a gorgeous dress! And the fringe on your quilt is spectacular. As Kat says, it reminds me of coral.

    And, an embroidery club at school? That is awesome! Do you "run" it? And how many usually join? I love that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your stitchy fishies look so good! I love the coral looking fringe. So artistic! I'm excited for your embroidery club at school, let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that you're teaching kids to embroider. They are lucky to have you as their teacher! Love those awesome fish.

    ReplyDelete