Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Can't Stop the Pink

When I decided to knit Perhaps, Perhaps, I knew the stripes would be gray and black. I wanted to use pink for the lace, but I always use pink. Come on, I prodded myself, venture outside your comfort zone! And then I saw this great green Sun Valley Fibers yarn and knew it would look great.
And it does look great ... but I still want it in pink. I pulled out this skein of pink (destined for a different project) and, yes, I want PINK! So, this first Perhaps, Perhaps will be a gift. Fortunately, it's a pretty quick knit. Sun Valley will be at the Madison Knitters Guild Knit In in March, so I'll pick out a pink then.

The Vegetarian was on just about every best-book list I saw for 2016. The writing is beautiful, but the story is so dark and twisted and I didn't feel that the book said enough to justify that level of despair.
So now I've moved onto Sinclair Lewis' It Can't Happen Here, a 1935 novel about a fictional president who brings totalitarianism to the United States. I know I said I was going to read something more cheerful, but I was just too curious to pass up this one. Like 1984, this book is enjoying a resurgence in sales. It isn't at all depressing at the beginning, but clearly the mood is headed downward. I've always liked Lewis's books (Babbitt, Main Street), and I'm liking this one so far.

It's evening here, but I'm still going to hop over to Yarn Along with Ginny.

11 comments:

  1. The shawl is looking gorgeous, but I understand the desire for pink! I'm a blue person myself, and I always know I'll be happy with my favorite color, even though branching out seems like a good idea. Interesting books -- I haven't read either one yet! I've been pleased to see Hannah Arendt's books making a comeback, too -- not exactly light reading. Neat for me since I'm editing a special issue on Arendt soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling that "It Can't Happen Here" might just hit too close to the bone for me to read right now, but it sure does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shawl as is, but the pink is gorgeous! Maybe you could just add a touch of pink? I haven't heard of The Vegetarian (must have missed it!) but not sure if I want to read it after your description! I know I won't be able to help checking it out though, just to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shawl is gorgeous! And it will be gorgeous in pink as well. That is a Sinclair Lewis book I had never heard of...but not sure I could read it right now (as Dee says - hitting a little too close to home). I'm interested to hear/read what you have to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, that Sinclair Lewis book sounds interesting! I have added it to my list! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you need to knit the pink - it will be gorgeous.

    Have you read Kristin Hannah's book, Nightingale? It's been a long time since a book moved me to tears, but Nightingale did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty shawl. Kudos to you for trying a new color; I'm like you and seem to stick to the same basic colors most of the time. Sounds like I need to check out that Lewis book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Watching my bloggy pals choose colors is a great joy for me . That pink is hot hot hot and no small wonder it wants to play

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never read that. I will put it on my list. I love that you are feeling the pull of the pink and giving into it! But yes, I do love the gray and green combo as well. It's all lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really can you ever go wrong with pink? I mean it is the happiest of colors, it comes in so many different hues, I am a an so I am glad you decided to make another one in pink.

    ReplyDelete