Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Books and Knitting

It's been so long since I had a fever, that I totally forgot what it felt like. Thus, I was shocked at Urgent Care Monday, when they told me I had a temperature of 101.5. In case you, too, have forgotten: Just walking across a room in a major effort!

I've mostly slept the last two days and when I was awake, I wasn't up for any difficult knitting. So I cast on for one of the patterns I've been wanting to make from Island by Jane Richmond.
This is a super simple scarf knit from linen. I'd picked up some Rowen Pure Linen on sale at an LYS. The pattern calls for fingering weight yarn, but this yarn is aran. What the heck? I just went ahead and cast on. It's just a scarf.
In my febrile state, it did not occur to me that I should use larger needles. However, I am liking it so far.

I'm still working my way through It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis. It's interesting, but not as good as his classic works. So I also started another novel: A Hologram for the King by Dave Eggers.
It's about a failing middle-aged businessman who heads to Saudi Arabia for the deal that will turn everything around in his life. Of course, nothing is that easy. I loved Eggers' The Circle, about a young woman who is hired by a Google-type company.  I often like workplace novels; My favorite TV show of all time is The Office. I'm finding Hologram reasonably entertaining.  (I think it was made into a movie with Tom Hanks.)

I'll be linking up with Ginny at Small Things to Yarn Along.


11 comments:

  1. I'll recommend the CIRCLE to Allison! I LOVE your scarf. Im so sorry you have an infection. Fevers are nothing to mess with. Rest more , please, more than you think you should! BIg hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Circle has been made into a movie with Tom Hanks; I just saw the preview. I love that knitting book! Made the scarf a few years ago and love it! Also made the hand mitts and cowl and want to make the sweater, her patterns are super! Hope you feel better soon. Agree with kathy's advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bummer about the flu (sounds like the flu anyway....don't know how teachers can avoid it!!!).....be better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor, poor you. I have not had a fever since I had the swine flu and that was ages ago but I still recall how awful it was. Worse yet, I was in Rhinebeck for the fest and it was a miserable experience. The train ride home was horrific. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to play dangerous and ignore needle size too. Usually I'm too impatient and don't have the suggested size. It's a scarf. What can go wrong! Hope you are feeling better. Take it slow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, I hope you are feeling better soon! And, I love that yarn color! Excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry you've been sick. Fevers are awful! Please rest (and consume lots of liquids). That scarf is going to be lovely...I need to go Google that book as it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you're feeling lots better by now so that you can enjoy the weekend! Love that scarf. Keep me posted on your summer plans, OK?

    ReplyDelete
  10. 101.5 is pretty high for an adult, now wonder you felt so bad. Here is to a happy weekend where you can rest up and knit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting yet simple scarf. I think you will be fine with different yarn, just keep reminding yourself you were sick whenit started. Hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete