Wednesday, February 24, 2016

It's All About Knitting Today

Monogamous knitting does not make for interesting blogging, so I thought I'd show you a picture of project that you haven't seen for a while, my Pelerine Shawl. I keep it by the couch and use it as my TV knitting.
We don't watch much TV, so this is going to take a while. But it has to be done by July 1 because I'm going to Meg Swansen's Knitting Camp! I was only going to go for one year, but my friend Marsha really wants to go together -- and so we are.  Show and Tell is a big event at camp, and it's always fun when people model their EZ patterns.

I finished reading Malice, and I recommend it for anyone who likes puzzle-like mysteries. I haven't settled into a new book yet, but I did stumble on a beautiful knitting book on the New Books shelf at the library: Magpies, Homebodies, and Nomads by Cirilia Rose. First, let me say that Jared Flood did the photography, so you know it's gorgeous.

It's not a book for novices, which is nice. Instead of lots of knitting 101 text, there are interesting essays like "I Am, As I Suspect Many of You Are, Addicted to Yarn." The patterns, in my opinion, run the gamut from drop-dead gorgeous to would anyone really wear this? For example, the Tisane Tank is, well, odd.

My favorite pattern is the L'Arbre Hat and Mitts. It is beautiful and practical. And I'm trying to knit things that I'll wear -- not just things that are fun to make. And I love the Isla Cardigan, which is featured on the cover.

I'll be checking in with Ginny's Yarn Along. Hope to see you there.

16 comments:

  1. I love the colors in your Pelerine Shawl. I'm a sucker for pink and grey together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely shawl! Not much TV knitting for me, either, so I get it. I checked that book out from my library, too -- some lovely patterns. I like the Isla cards and the L'Arbre hat, plus there's a cabled vest that struck my fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love finding new knitting books at the library. So,etimes I get lucky and the librarian will set them aside especially for me. Happy knitting! Xoxo Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great book, and a lovely shawl that you're making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colours in your shawl and I love new knitting books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your shawl, such a nice color combination. It looks like it would be a relaxing knit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shawl is beautiful. I love those colors together so soft and comforting. It's funny, I just checked that book out for the second time because I want to do a pattern. Like you I was primarly drawn to ONE pattern, the Loro vest. It's next on my list of garment torture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get. Out.Meg Swanson's Knitting Camp? Swooooooon. Knit like the wind my dear, you really want to be draped in that lovely shawl. I know I would!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have coveted that book for a year because it's beautiful, but agree the patterns are odd. Or maybe just too young for me. Still on the fence because it is so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your shawl. I've been thinking about picking up the needles again and finishing one I started years ago. I've been into crochet for the last few years. Enjoyed this post. Found you through the yarn along.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many books these days are like that - at least half the patterns are just crazy. But someone must like them right? haha. I hope you had a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I have not attended a workshop in forever. Jealous! Love your shawl colors .
    I like the sound of that book.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would jump at the chance to go to that camp, I am glad you decided to go again. I have two coupons for 25% at Barnes and Noble, I might see if they have that book.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. Knitting camp sounds like so much fun!!!!!!!! Good luck getting the shawl done in time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. how exciting to go again, I remember you liked it, who wouldn't?? love the show and tell part, that would be fun. The book looks good and I'll have to do a flip through if and when I see it about.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great colors for your shawl. How fun to go to Knitting Camp. Meg Swansen lived in our town long ago but I didn't know her mother then. I finally finished my Scoreboard Scarf and it's HUGE. As for books, I just started A Fine Balance for bookclub and am enjoying it. You might, too?

    ReplyDelete