Saturday, February 13, 2016

Back to Reality

Yes, I was in Seattle. I haven't been to the Emerald City since 1977, so it was all new to me. Most of the weekend was spent eating -- that's the way we Jews celebrate -- in honor of this lovely young lady:

Adah is the daughter of one of my cousins, and she is just a lovely young woman. She is clearly very, very bright -- but also sweet and modest. I got to spend time with my favorite cousins, as well as to see my brothers. Even my parents flew out, which is a big deal as my father is 83 and quite frail.
I absolutely fell in love with the city. What a beautiful place. Every restaurant we went to -- Wild Ginger, Top Pot Donuts, Serious Pie -- was amazing. Although, I was disappointed that the "pie" in Serious Pie referred to pizza. Still, it was good pizza.

The Bat Mitzvah was held in Alki Beach, which is a beautiful neighborhood. I wanted to send for my belongings and move in. I often feel this way when I travel: I want to experience living in these different places. Am I the only one?

It's a fairly long trip to Seattle, so I brought along the Blueberry Waffle socks I've been working on and managed to finish the first one:
It turns out that Adah would like blue hand-knit socks for her Bat Mitzvah, so I know what will be going on these needles as soon as this pair is finished.

Anyway, I am hoping to visit Seattle for a longer stay this summer. I knew I wouldn't have time to see friends on this last visit (thinking of you, Judy), but I hope to meet up this summer. I'll keep you posted as the plans emerge.


13 comments:

  1. Hooray! Family occasions are so important. That's a long trip out there but sounds like well worth it. LOVE the socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a happy occasion. Glad you had a wonderful visit!

    That yarn is the perfect correct for Blueberry Waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as though you had a great time and those socks in that yarn are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love visiting Seattle-such a fun city and so many different things to experience there and the surrounding area! Love the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me hungry. Travel eating is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty young girl - congratulations to her!

    Love your socks. That pattern makes the cushiest socks ever.

    (P.S. Did you ever receive the gift card?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a wonderful trip, celebrating a lovely young woman, spending time with family and friends in an amazing city and of course eating all sorts of yummy food. Seattle is one of my favorite places.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. A trip to the Pacific Northwesr is on my short list! I want to visit Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver, as well as Bainbridge Island. Glad you made and enjoyed your trip, and yes, I never feel as if I get to stay long enough! That's why I love AirBNB so much: you really get to feel like a local.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a city on my list - and many other people too - I am so glad you got to go. I wish I could afford to just move from place to place every year. It would be so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh what fun to be celebrating a milestone and your cousin's daughter is a beauty!! glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fun! I'm with you in wanting to know what it would be like to live long-term in the places I visit...I think at every point on each trip I envision myself living in a spot, finding a coffee shop that would be my regular spot, locating a yarn shop...I think it's part of enjoying the travels :) glad to know you had a great time and have plans to revisit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a wonderful trip :) Your socks are looking great

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're coming back? Fabulous. Aim for late July or early August as the weather's most reliable then. But maybe we'll have another summer like last years, the best in the 39 years we've been here. Lots of yarn shops but even better is visiting the mountains in the summer! Portland is great fun, too! So much to see and so little time.

    ReplyDelete