Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A Poncho and Some Books

I really should be working on a couple of pairs of socks, both of which are gifts, but I can't seem to stop knitting rounds on my Winter Ridge Poncho. I am getting close to the final stage -- the neck -- so it's hard to slow down.
I'm knitting this as a KAL with my knitting pal, Marsha, and she has finished hers because she wants to take it with her on a cruise later this week. She modeled it for me yesterday and she looked darling in it. It will be perfect for cool days on deck. And the best part is that Ewetopia has kits available on their web site again -- just use the link above.
Add caption
I finished Satin Island, and I liked it but it's not for everyone. Even though it's a novel, it reads almost like nonfiction. It's filled with all kinds of thought-provoking passages like this from the first page: "People need foundation myths, some imprint of year zero, a bolt that secures the scaffolding that in turn holds fast the entire architecture of reality ..."  Definitely a demanding read.

The plot kind of falls apart in the last quarter of the book, but I finished it anyway.  The narrator is a corporate archaeologist who is supposed to capture the narrative of the large company he works for.  Honestly, I'm not even sure if he accomplished that task. Like I said, it's interesting, but it's not for everyone.
As an antidote to all that thinking, I picked up Malice by Keigo Higashino, a mystery from Japan.  I'm about 50 pages into it and I look forward to picking it up each night. It's told from various viewpoints -- and I love that approach. It is definitely a nice change!

I'll be linking up with Ginny to Yarn Along.


15 comments:

  1. I love that striped poncho!!! I'm going to have to go look that up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of the poncho wool. It looks SO soft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty poncho and I love the edging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW those stripes. I love the contrast, sure to be a showy piece when it's done :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. bummer about the book, I get sad when a plot drops me. I love your poncho and the contrasting colors and the wispy light feel it has!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The poncho is beautiful! I love the colors, and it looks super cushy and soft. Satin Island doesn't sound like the book for me, but different strokes for different folks. For example, I know some people didn't care for the faux academic tone of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (complete with footnotes!), but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet poncho! Good for you sticking to the book. I am bad like that - I lose interest quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alright then, validating my enjoyment of a visit to you blog yet again! I just put Malice in my library queue. hehe.

    I can see why you are a one Poncho knitter right now, it's really coming together so beautifully. It looks very polished. I think I'm in the same knitting frame of mind. I was hoping to knit a pair of Red socks, but I can't because I'm obsessing over a cardigan...

    Knit happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the poncho! I was planning on making some for my kids, but haven't started yet, so I might wait and work on spring sweaters instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful poncho, I can see why you are torn from your socks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fellow teacher and first time visitor to your blog. I love the fun poncho. The books you are reading sound interesting...I'll return to see what you think of "Malice" when you are finished. I love books that I look forward to reading each day! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your knitting is looking amazing, I can't wait to see it finished.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. Malice sounds good--I added it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SHRUG by BOnnie Jacobs is the name of the shrug pattern you inquired about earlier in the week. IM sorry it took me so long to get the answer to you. Was in Minnesota. i did WAVE At you from 94! I promise we'll meet in 2016. I d love to meet you ! I love your winter ridge poncho!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the poncho. Malice sounds interesting, the other one not so much. Good for you for sticking with it though!

    ReplyDelete