Saturday, February 20, 2016

Some Stash Enhancement

What is it about acquiring yarn that is so irresistible? Just a few weeks ago, I went through my stash and culled out quite a bit of yarn. Yet, I've already added a few more skeins. I seem to have a problem. (I'd like to point out that it is healthier to be a yarn addict than a heroin addict.)

First up is a shmooshy skein of Miss Babbs Yowza. I have to point out that I didn't pay retail for this one; nope, I shopped stashes on Ravelry and saved a few bucks by ordering from a Raveler.
I do try to only buy yarn that is intended for a specific project. This is going become a Brickless, a pattern that I learned about from a friend a few weeks ago at the Sun Valley retreat. I think it was designed for this yarn, as the pattern calls for 560 yards -- the exact amount in Yowza! I expect to start this one pretty soon.

I've been jonesing for some Arne and Carlos Regia Sock Yarn. It came out a year or two ago, and it was impossible to get then. People just snapped it up. So when I saw a display at a LYS, I grabbed this skein:
Do you know Arne and Carlos? They are a Norway-based couple, both personally and in business, who design all sorts of things, including knitwear. I own their book on knitted dolls and I will (I swear) actually use it one of these days.
I know what this will become: socks! (Duh.) It may be a while before I get it on the needles, but that's OK. It will get used!

BTW, there's a reason that heroin was on my mind; last night, Keith and I watched a documentary on Amy Winehouse on Netflix. Such an amazing musician; such a sad person. A tortured soul. I used to think her song about refusing to go to rehab was funny. It doesn't seem so funny now.

Have you "enhanced" your stash lately?

17 comments:

  1. Of course I have enhanced my stash, I have a really bad problem because yarn is my heroin, and my crack and well anything else bad for you. I went through my stash last year and went 10 months without buying yarn, I seem to be making up for it now. I love your new yarn and I sure would have been tempted by that pink.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have, a whole sweater's worth! Almost done with it too! Love the pink Yowza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been so good since Christmas! I feel I may cave soon though - can't - not - buy - yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been good about not buying yarn lately, but no because I'm on a diet. Sometimes I just like to shop my stash. But if I were on a diet, that skein of Miss Babbs would have thrown me straight off it. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still need to try Miss Babs. Enjoy that cheery color, a beach for spring! Stash enhancements are perfectly reasonable as long as you keep knitting at a good clip. Xoxo Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, oh, oh....my goodness. I have yet to stand in that long line at the MDSW for the Miss Babs booth but this may have to be the year to see what the fuss is all about. That looks so yummy. I always love me some Regia. It makes the best socks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the explanation of Arne and Carlos - I wouldn't have known the reference otherwise. Sock yarn always gets knit eventually.

    As for Amy Winehouse, I can't listen to the Rehab song any more either. There's a lyric about "and if my Daddy thinks I'm fine" which is just crushing. Imagine living with the thought that you enabled your daughter's addiction that led to her death! And sadly I suspect that there was a lot of enabling going on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Yes! I love your pink Yowza! Hey i have a personal question for you. can you email me? harpnut@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bestie went to StitchesWest yesterday and did a little personal shopping for me-I only bought two skeins though! I was thought that was pretty restrained because there were quite a few more I would have liked!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhhh....that YOWZA is beautiful.

    I haven't enhanced the stash for a couple of weeks. But, the Orange Blossom Yarn Crawl is coming along in a couple of weeks and I KNOW I will be doing some shopping then.

    My new blogs:
    http://pointylittlesticks.blogspot.com
    http://meanwhileinflorida.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. seriously jealous of that carlos and arne yarn...i've been looking for what seems forever! (no, I don't need more socks....just some of THAT yarn!!!!) I made a brickless a little while ago....and it was a great pattern! good choice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww thats a cute book! I also love that pink - nice buy! I haven't bought yarn in awhile, but then again my stash is such a mess that I am not even sure what's in it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've not added anything recently but I had quite a lot of new sock yarns at the end of last month so I'm trying to be good. I love that pink skein, so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm staying on my sheep, but have been SERIOUSLY lusting after that Carlos and Arne yarn. I can't wait to hear what you think of working with it. I'm sure it's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am digging your stash enhancement. That pink sock yarn for Brickless is swoon worthy! I bet it knits up in Brickless fabulously. The last stash enhancement was some sock yarn and a kit. A kit I'm working on now that is making me twitchy. That documentary Amy was heartbreaking. I was really really sad about the people that enabled her and were self serving around her though I think her family sincerely cared/loved her. Such sadness, such a waste of talent and life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't wait to see you start Brickless! I love that yarn you bought. And yes, I found a skein of yarn in AZ, like I need any, right? But, oh so pretty, and it had to come home with me. The funny thing is that Cascade yarn comes from here..... Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Regia makes wonderful socks. It's the only yarn that I've seen that comes with a guarantee - printed right on the label.

    ReplyDelete