Wednesday, August 13, 2014

WIP: Wishbone Socks and a Discovery

I haven't knit lace socks in ages, so I decided to cast on these for last week's vacation:

The pattern is Wishbone Socks from Interweave Knits Accessories 2009.  I knew the pattern would be well-written seeing as the designer is sock maven Nancy Bush. She doesn't call for ribbing the cuff, but I'm a firm believer in the necessity of ribbed cuffs, so I added a half-inch of 2x2.

I learned something that I should have figured out a long time ago. When I started the lace, I could not find a counter (the click type). I own quite a few so it's embarrassing that none of them were available. Since we were about to leave for our getaway, I figured I'd have to use paper and pencil.

But once I got knitting, I realized that I can read this pattern! I don't need the numbers for something this simple. I found that I make fewer mistakes without the counter. Because I'm constantly tracking the pattern in my mind -- instead of letting the counter do it -- I'm on track all the time. (Note: I'm not giving up the counter for more complicated patterns, but is is very freeing on this project!)

I am probably the last knitter on Earth to figure this out. Better late than never!

Don't forget to check in with Ginny's Yarnalong and Keep Calm and Craft On.




19 comments:

  1. What a great revelation! I'm still at the pen and paper stage but sometimes a pattern manages to work it's way into my complicated mind.
    I'm in agreement about the ribbing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are fabulous socks. I'm relatively new to sock knitting and haven't tried lace yet, in fact I am well on my way to finishing my first pair with any pattern at all, so it's great to have some tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling - I Haven't been using a counter on my mom's socks, and it's been fairly easy to keep track of just by looking at what the last row was. I think that blue is so perfect for those socks, I can't wait to see them done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it fun when you figure out a pattern and can just go with it? I've actually never seen a sock pattern without a ribbed cuff, strange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the pattern- these are going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Learning to read the pattern makes it so much easier. It's not always easy to do though. I love how the socks are looking so far. I would have added the ribbing too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great great looking socks....and yes, sometimes necessity is the mother of invention....a whole new knitting world as just opened up to you!!!! you go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so wish i could READ a pattern with my eyes..just hasn't happened

    ReplyDelete
  9. One less thing to lose OR forget to bring along. Congrats.

    The socks LOOK GREAT! That is SUCH a pretty pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are gorgeous, I love the stitch definition and the colour is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the lace work - and your DPNs holder!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have only just started knitting in lace. This looks like a lovely pattern! I love finding new blogs and you are a special needs teacher - that is what I was doing when I lived in England!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did a big complicated cable blanket by tracking on paper because I didn't have a counter and then when I got one I used it for an easier knitted blanket but kept forgetting to add to the counter....ha ha would have been better just paying attention and not trying to let the counter do the job for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The yarn and pattern are a perfect match. I'm off the check out that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The color of the yarn you are using is pretty and I really like that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  16. haha "When I started the lace, I could not find a counter (the click type). I own quite a few so it's embarrassing that none of them were available. "

    YES. This sums up the index cards in my latest sock project with little hash /tally marks on it.

    Your socks are lovely. Great job on the pattern read, it's liberating, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can't go wrong with a Nancy Bush pattern - she really is the most reliable, I think. Nice looking yarn too. I'm all about blue yarn these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes you just have to go with it and it turns out better than you expected, I rely on my row counter more than I should. And I always have my pencil and paper ready for everything I am constantly adapting.
    Hugs to you and love the socks,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete