Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Work Sock

I hope I'm not the only who knits at work. I don't knit in front of the kids. For one thing, they'd probably try to snatch my dpns to use in play fights. Secondly, I don't think I could solve linear equations while turning a heel.

The times when I NEED knitting is when I'm in meetings. I've never been good at sitting still. Both of my careers involve jobs with lots of movement: newspaper reporting and teaching. I got through high school and college by doodling and working on my handwriting (and I do have lovely handwriting). I really think I'm one of those people who thinks better when she has something in her hands.


I started the sock above at the beginning of this school year. In the past, It has taken me a year to do a single sock. I finished this one at the end of the first quarter -- which tells you a lot about how things are changing for teachers, at least in Wisconsin.

Thank goodness for knitting! At this point, I could knit two full pairs by the end of the school year!

3 comments:

  1. I'm the same as you - I get too agitated in meetings or waiting rooms without something to keep my hands busy. Of course I get waaaay more knitting time at work than you do. Pretty colourway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling. When I have crits in class or if I go to movies, or just anything, I get fidgety. I need something in my hands as well. I think knitting is a great way to pass the time, especially lovely socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! I was doing a side job at Sylvan tutoring, and I think the main reason I had to quit was because I was required to sit at a table for three hours. No can do. A few coworkers knit at our meetings at my new school, so it's lovely! Nice sock, btw!

    ReplyDelete