Saturday, September 9, 2017

That Last Post Title Was Frighteningly Accurate

My last post was titled: The Quiet Before the Storm. Little did I know!

I was referring to the quiet pace of life before the high schoolers showed up for classes. But I have a daughter who lives in Miami, so storm took on a whole new -- and more menacing meaning -- by this past Monday, when Irma began to look like a serious Hurricane.

On Tuesday, my husband talked Rachel into flying home. To get a flight that didn't clean out our savings, she had to drive to Orlando and fly from there. Not that we are complaining to have her here, save and dry!

She is, of course, worried about her friends back in Miami, as well as her apartment (4 blocks from the ocean) and the University of Miami, where she's going to school. At least we have a new kitty and a new kitty-friendship to cheer her up:
There Nagi is, grooming Kola. There has been some playful biting, but mostly they are good friends and playmates. Kola is in that phase where she will leap pretty darn high for the right toy.

I cast off the last stitches on the Never Ending Shawl, also known as the TTL Mystery Shawl 2017.
I ran out of white, so I had to cast-off with pink, which I'm pretty happy with. I still have some ends to weave in and a couple dropped stitches to secure. I can't block it at this moment because I'll need the bed that Rachel is sleeping in!

My thoughts are with Dee and Mere and anyone else who is threatened by Irma!

15 comments:

  1. Greetings from the UK. Sorry for your troubles. Good luck with your endeavours.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no....poor Daughter. I haven't turned off the Weather Channel in days myself. I am also worried about all our Florida friends. I've been through two hurricanes and Sandy in recent years and they were terrible experiences.
    Love, love, love your shawl. It's pretty enough without even blocking it. When does that ever happen with lace?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine your relief at having your daughter safely there with you (even if you did have to give up your blocking spot)! My thoughts are with everyone affected by Irma, and I hope your daughter's friends, apartment, and Univ. of Miami all fare well and she can return to her FL life soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your pretty new shawl!

    Enjoy the bonus time with your girl. Looks like those of us on the east side of Florida may have dodged the bullet this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shawl is lovely with the pink cast off - it looks planned.

    I'm thrilled to hear that your daughter is at home and out of harm's way. Enjoy your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shawl is so pretty now but I can't wait to see it blocked!
    The storm is just making itself felt now-while it is just over Key West-it is so large it is sending bands over Miami and even me at 5 1/2 hours north of Miami! We are holding tight! It is hard to have the storm hanging over us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shawl will be gorgeous once it's blocked. Can't wait to see it. Glad your daughter evacuated. I've got people in the Melborne area and I'm pretty worried about them. I'm praying for the whole state.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for daughters who come home!!!!! Glad she is out of harms way now. Praying for mere and Dee too. And Teresa's house with the fires. Its so difficult on so many.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad your daughter made it out to your welcoming house. I expect things are going to be pretty miserable in parts of a Florida for some time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am SO glad she flew out and is safe with you. I have friends who did not evacuate from Orlando....I hope they stay okay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad your daughter came up. My brother in Miami did not evacuate. Scary storm. Thinking of Dee and Mere. Your shawl is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so happy you were able to bring your daughter home. We watched images of the storm this weekend and I worried about those who did not leave or take cover. I am hopeful that when she returns to Miami she will find minimal damage, and that her friends are all well. XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you guys got your girl home and safe, to be surrounded by parent and kitty love. The pink edging is really a nice touch on the shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you have your daughter back safe. I hope all her friends are ok.
    Your shawl is beautiful, such a gorgeous colour.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful shawl! So glad your daughter was able to escape the storm and be with you. I just heard today from my cousins, and they fared well also. Thankfully, Mere and Dee are OK too. Our area is still tinder dry; rain is promised but hasn't made an appearance yet. It's very sad to hear about the fire in the Columbia Gorge and elsewhere. It's been a scary fall.

    ReplyDelete