Sunday, September 17, 2017

On a Happier Note

Although my weekend started out with an unfortunate knitting event (see yesterday's post), it picked up from there. For one thing, I was able to bike for the first time in almost a year. It felt so good to get the exercise and to be able to go downtown without looking for parking. I am pleasantly surprised that the incision from my July 6 surgery (on the back of my right thigh) is fully healed already.



On my first trip, I visited my dad, who is in rehab now. A week ago he landed in the ER with sepsis. That was his fourth ER trip in 7 weeks. Three of them resulted in hospitalization and this is the second time he was released to rehab, not home. Poor guy. He is going through a lot.


I also went to a fund-raiser for the local Rape Crisis Center and to a sketching event with a friends.

And, I finally had time to try a project from this great book I got from the library:
If you look closely, you can see light pencil lines on this sheet of paper:
Then I covered the lines with a watercolor resist pen by Christine Adolph.
Then I played with my paints:
Now I'm waiting for a special Ranger transfer foil to arrive in the mail. When I rub that on these little paintings, the white lines should turn gold! These are little paintings that I'll make into cards. If the gold really works, I want to try larger paintings.

And I'll leave you with a picture of our darling kitten:
She's a keeper!

14 comments:

  1. So much beauty in that post! Warm thoughts to your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like so much fun!!!! They will make spectacular cards.
    So sorry to hear about your dad. Sounds like the story of poor Daddio. In and out and in and out until he was all in. It's tough to see your parents so vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO sorry about your Dad. He must be so frustrated being ill. I know how draining it can be on you too. I have been there. Take good care of yourself and enjoy those beautiful cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your water color pictures are gorgeous. I can't wait to see them in GOLD!

    Awwwwwwwww...what a sweet kitty. She definitely is a KEEPER!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your dad is better soon! And, those pictures are beautiful - I can't wait to see them with the gold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful watercolors! I haven't heard of that technique before -- fascinating. Sending healing thoughts for your dad, and what a sweet kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about your Dad - hoping he is doing better. Such an interesting technique - your drawings are beautiful. Sweet little kitty. And how great that you were able to bike!! Glad your incision has healed so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Errata makes me crazy! I just don't think magazines invest in proper tech editing these days. They're losing the battle to online pattern sales I guess.

    Lovely watercolours - I can't wait to see how the gold foil adds pop.

    Sorry to hear about your Dad. He must be exhausted, his loved ones must be exhausted too! I hope things improve quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Healing thoughts for your Dad's full recovery. It's difficult to see loved one struggle with health issues.

    Congratulations on your healing and now being able to ride your bike. I love your paintings. You are a very talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our pets usually steal the show but your paintings hold their own!
    Can't wait to see what the gold trim does to those flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your paintings are beautiful even without the gold. I'm a little jealous. I would love to draw but... even my stick figures aren't recognizable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your art too!!!!!! Im so glad you OR site has healed well. I made myself wear a long sleeve sun shirt to day while out working in the sun with Fireman. It is so hard when our parents are failing and frail. Wishing you good family time by the new year. Apples and honey galore

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear about your dad! Hope he's doing better now. Love your paintings!! You might enjoy Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman; it's a historical novel about the mother and family of Camille Pissaro.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope your dad continues to improve and you can worry less. I love when you show what you are working on in your art mediums.

    ReplyDelete