Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Advantage of a Huge Guild

Between work and family, I have been a busy girl. And I'm trying to knit monagamously, so I don't have any interesting WIPs to show you, but I went to the Guild meeting on Monday ...

The Madison Knitting Guild has more than 500 members now and all those dues add up to enough money to bring nationally and internationally known speakers to our meetings. I was SO excited about our October speaker: Kristin Nicholas. If you haven't checked out her books or blog, do so ASAP. Her use of color is amazing, as you can see in these samples she brought.
She is so nice and down-to-Earth. She lives on a sheep farm with her husband and daughter in western Massachusetts. Her house is as colorful as these sweaters; this woman is brave with a paint can! How does she come up with this stuff? She does tons and tons of swatches. She just plays with colors until she finds something she likes.

There was a table heaped with donated winter items.
I was inspired! So I took a bag of scrap yarn and I'm going to learn to do Russian joins so I can make a magic-scrap ball and knit a charity hat.
It was a great evening and it made me appreciate living here, where there are so many knitters!

I'm joining Knit Along.



17 comments:

  1. It is always good to get together with fellow crafty crafters - that's why I love the Yarn Along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonderful inspiration for scrap knitting! The guild gathering looks wonderful. You're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your knitting guild sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you! No knitting guild here that I know of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my heart. I am in love......

    ReplyDelete
  6. for years i thought I was the only knitter in western ky; this hasn't proved to be the case, but we have nothing like the Madison group!!!! You really are very very lucky to have such a great support group. I follow Kristen's blog; love her sense of color. Have you seen her home decor book? WOW! I love looking at it, even though I have a much 'tamer' sense of design!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A knitting guild sounds wonderful, I don't think I know of anything like that near me. Love the mix of colours in those handknits

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those sweaters are amazing. I think the secret to colorwork is to NOT be afraid to rip out if you aren't getting what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that's so amazing. Our local potters guild struggles with about 20 members :( to bring in many speakers. We are trying to do one every year but it's a lot of work with so few members. I love the idea of the charity knits...i just learned about it last month and we are going to be doing something similar to help build up our "empty bowls" stock. Good luck with the Russian joins...I've never even heard of them so I'm going to go look it up right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great plan. Russian join is clever and doable

    ReplyDelete
  11. Russian joins, magic-scrap ball - this is all new to me, sounds very exciting I think i'm going to have to do a little internet search now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A knitting guild sounds like so much fun. I would really like to join a crafty group, I hope I can do that when my kids are a little older.

    ReplyDelete
  13. a scrappy hat sounds great. Will have to check out the Russian join.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I Think belonging to a guild would be so much fun, and oh my to hear Kristen Nicolas you must have been in Heaven. She is just brilliant, and I bet you felt you could just sit down and have a cup of tea with her and chat.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  15. aren't you a lucky duck! I wish I was there. I love the colors of the stranded knitting so cheerful!!~

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those colorful sweaters! How fun to get to see and hear her!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds brilliant, I don't think we have anything like that here. Those colours trully are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete