Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pricing Is Hard

With a craft fair coming up at the end of this month -- not to mention that Thanksgiving and Hanukkah fall on the same day this year -- I am beginning to freak out a little bit. This week, I've been working to turn out a few necklaces made of these beads:
I love these beads and I get tons of compliments on the necklace I wear. But this week I've become painfully aware of how much work they are. First I have to make the beads from clay; second, I have to bathe them in brown acrylic paint to give them an old, worn look; and third, I have to wipe and then sand off the paint.

All in all, it's a time-consuming process. And while I love they way they look, these beads make a simple statement. So I have no idea how much to ask for them! There are all sorts of books and articles about how to price your jewelry, but in the end, it comes down to this question: What will people pay?

I have a feeling that I'll be making this decision at the final moment!

1 comment:

  1. I'm no help with this because I'm terrible at pricing. I'm torn between getting the actual value of the product and competing against cheap alternatives. They're awesome beads though!

    ReplyDelete