Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Due To Technical Difficulties

When I got back from my travels this summer, my scanner would not cooperate. I had all these great sketches, and no way to get them digitized! Back to school time is always hectic, so it took a while for Keith and I to figure out the problem.

So, in the spirit of better-late-than-never, here are a few of my favorites. The first one is from Madrid:


I drew this sitting on the steps of a little Church on a square near our apartment. I worked in the mornings while sipping my coffee and nibbling a chocolate croissant. It is a very typical apartment building from the older sections of Madrid. Those wrought iron railings are everywhere and give the city an elegant feel. I had a lovely soundtrack while drawing: the morning services a the church!

This next sketch is from Copenhagen:

This was the first castle that my daughter, Rachel, had ever seen, and it was so much fun to share that discovery with her. The wealth contained in these castles resonated strongly with both of us -- how can the few have so much when the many have so little? Nonetheless, it is magical to walk the halls of history and have the people and places jump of the pages of history books.

And I have to add that sketching has added depth to my travels. I really see something when you draw it. The experience is more important than the final product!



3 comments: