Saturday, December 17, 2016

One Finished, One Will Never Be

About a year ago, my daughter asked me to make a pencil case for her. It just so happens that I have long wanted to learn to put in zippers. It took a about a year to figure it out. I thoughtlessly gave her the first one that was successful over Thanksgiving -- before I took a photo of it!  But here is pencil case No. 2:
I'm quite happy with it. It's lined and everything!
I see many pencil cases and notions cases in my future.
On the other hand, my Project Peace Cowl is not so peaceful. I thought I had joined it carefully -- as in without twisting it. I was wrong. Besides, I realized that this is not the right color. I really like the cowls, like the original, that are made in pale colors.  Maybe I'll make one next year.

Today was a great day: I got to cross country ski! This is the only exercise that I truly love. I could lose a ton of weight easily if we could have a snowy winter -- with reasonable temperatures. When we headed out to ski at midday, the temp was 10 degrees with wind chill, which is about as cold as I find it comfortable to ski. Even though I am terribly out of shape, it was awesome!

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Your little project bag is adorable!!!

    Cross country skiing sounds like fun. Glad you had a good time. Here's to a snowy winter for you and your skiing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had fun skiing! My sons enjoyed cross country skiing in high school back in NY. Your pencil case turned out so well I can imagine you making all sorts of neat project bags. [sorry about the twist in your knitting project...been there...done that...more than once...sigh] Wishing you more happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to learn how to make a bag like that...someday. I agree with the skiing thing. One winter when I was a teen we had snow on the ground all winter and I found a little pair of skis at Goodwill. I skied up and down the roads and the paths in the woods all winter and it was heaven. Now we rarely get snow and the skis are long gone but it is a very happy memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't you hate when your knitting is twisted? I do that occasionally and just sit in wonder...how? Hopefully you will knit that some other time. Have fun skiing and I hope you get lots of snow so you are super skinny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that little pencil case! I have several shark ones waiting in the wings. Was putting in the zipper painful? I did the twisted thing on a couple of my shawls, including this one. I have very twisty cable needles which don't help. My PP is stalled at 8 row but it isn't twisted anymore...... Enjoy that skiing; you are SO brave to go out in that chilly weather. Here we're all moaning because it's just under freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The unintentional mobius is not a thing that exudes peace. However, I do like the yarn choice - very much! And, yay for zipper success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your notions case is lovely! I love the lining, the fabric contrast and the zipper is FANCY :) Well done! I hate twisting Cowls. It makes my palms sweat. Cross country skiing sounds fantastic! I've never done it and now that I'm older it seems more inviting and fun than Alpine does (which I have done).

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bag turned out beautifully! I need to learn zippers, too -- maybe this will inspire me for the new year. And hooray for cross-country skiing! What a great way to get out and experience nature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bag you made -- well done! Oh I'm envious of your X country skiing. I used to love that, but we have not done that in years. It is fabulous exercise!! Wishing you a snowy winter with plenty of opportunities to get out and ski!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not join in with the Peaceful Cowl because I was to darn stressed, no peace for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Someday maybe I'll learn to sew. I love the bag. Fireman and I have been snowshoeing. IT was great. We brought hot tea anda few cookies along. Enjoy the snow. I Love it. and I love Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete