Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Let the Startitis Begin!

I finally finished my Robson scarf, though I haven't taken any FO photos yet. The important thing is that I'm working on something else: the Toboggan Run Hat by Jaala Spiro of Knit Circus. I'm making it in the same colorway as the sample: Birds of a Feather.
Gorgeous as it is, this pattern is probably not for everyone because it's miles and miles of seed stitch, which I know that some people cannot stand. I don't mind it and I love the look it. It is especially scrumptious in Jaala's worsted-weight yarn, which is as soft as it is beautiful.
I also (finally!) finished Middlemarch, which I thoroughly enjoyed. One reason I'd wanted to re-read it was so I could read a recent book, My Life in Middlemarch by New Yorker writer Rebecca Mead, a blend of commentary on the novel, George Eliot biographical information, and reflection by Mead. It's a bit slow-going at the start.

The Association of Small Bombs by Karan Mahajan turned up on a lot of Best Books of 2016 lists this month. It's about a fictional bombing in Dehli. The author follows the parents of two brother who died in the blast and the bomb-maker himself after the tragedy. It's not always easy to read, but it is very well-done.

I'm joining with Ginny for the year's last Yarn Along.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful yarn and pattern. I don't mind knitting a bit of seed stitch, but a big project would have me grumbling in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think seed stitch is easier if you hold your working yarn in your left hand because I don't mind it either and my right hand yarn holding friends hate it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a bit of startists too. Wish my break from school was just a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the texture on that hat! Seed stitch can be a pain but my main problem with it is that mine never looks very good. I can't ever seem to get the tension right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Put me in the hate-to-seed-stitch, but that hat would be TOTALLY worth it. Love that color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a seed-stitch ages old WIP that I should pull out and finish! The yarn is divine and it would be the perfect winter project to work on! I love your yarn choice and your book recommendations always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your knitting/artistry is much more adventurous than mine which is one of the reasons I so enjoy visiting with you here. While I admire your adventures somehow I am encouraged to continue to enjoy and complete my simple knit knit knit once in awhile purl projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your toboggan run hat colors choice. I cant do all that seed stitch, but I know Katherine would!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the hat! Anything with red is great. I bailed on the Peace Cowl and decided after 8 rows that I didn't like the yarn and just didn't have time to do it by the deadline. It wasn't bringing me peace for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a mad dash to the finish last night and can't wait to start something new today. Mind you I have two other projects to finish.......

    ReplyDelete