Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Life Does Go On

Last night my art group met, and we talked about how focusing on our art has helped us get through this dark time. Some of us are avoiding the news, but I can't take my eyes off the continuing wreck. Even for me, creating keeps my blood pressure down.

I was struggling with what to do for the next fiber-art exhibit. Ideas are usually not a problem for me, but this was different. I went back to my sketchbook and found this:
Then I enlarged it and now it looks like this:
Eventually it will be the focal point of a quilt.

I've also been struggling to find a novel that I wanted finish. In desperation I decided to reread the greatest novel written in English:
 I'm not sure I'll finish it, considering that it's more than 700 pages. But I'm about 100 pages into it right now, and it is holding up really well. Written in 1874, Middlemarch is the story of an idealistic young woman who wants to make the world a better place -- an aspiration that was very difficult for a woman in the 1820s, when the story is set. It is a classic Victorian novel -- somewhat Dickensian -- with lots of local color and fascinating characters.

Joining up with Ginny for Yarn Along

13 comments:

  1. I loved Middlemarch!! I read it a few summers ago and was surprised; I think of it as the sequel to all the Jane Austen novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow What a gorgeous color transfer for stitching. I think I'll get my daughter Middle march for Christmas. right up her alley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you are turning your own sketch into an embroidery.

    I had started into Jane Eyre, but now isn't the right time. I need something a little lighter. Jane will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking about getting back to some thread stitching - I love your piece. That book though, read it in college but can't imagine picking it up again. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely sketch and beautiful stitching! I just finished Great Expectations which I can't believe. I never stick with anything that long but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful drawing and it makes an amazing stitch project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that book is on my list to be read but since I'm reading a super big book (a. hamilton) I doubt I'll plunge into another thick book. I love your stitchery and like you I am trying NOT to read the news but you know it's hard to ignore it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The train wreck that is happening is hard to avoid even though I am trying. But for me I can't find a bubble big enough to shied me from all the news. Not even knitting is helping at the moment although I am trying. Love your beautiful stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You remind me I need art, an escape. Thankfully my knitting still brings a smile to my face. I used to teach history and I can't stop reading the Washington Post I have on my tablet. It's Washington politics first and they don't pull punches. For some reason I found finding out every little detail I could in this horrible situation calms me. I figure it's knowing what's exactly is happening, what can't happen legally without lots of time, this helps me. But perhaps it's also watching a train wreck as it's happening and it's so bad you can't look away. Either way staying informed works for me now. I also put on a safety pin to signify I care and I will intervene if I need to to protect someone. I won't side with hate. Hopefully with enough of us upset we will see positive change in the future. We can only hope and be proactive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. loving the stitching.....i only dabble in embroidery now and again. i just had a little 'again' dabble and lost interest pretty quickly. thank goodness it was just a little journal cover!!! how many times i've thought it's time to tackle that book....and then i just don't. ??????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, the Victorians. They were my specialty in undergrad, and I still love them best. George Eliot, especially, settles me right in.

    For lots of local colour, have you read any Thomas Hardy, especially The Woodlanders?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your beautiful stitched sketch will make an awesome focal point for a quilt! Reading, knitting, choir, and the grand kids have helped me get through the past several weeks.

    ReplyDelete