Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Thinking About Retirement

OK, I'm nowhere near old enough to retire, but I can't help but think about it in the summer, when I can spend tons of time on creative pursuits instead of rushing off to school each weekday. Also, a lot of my friends are older than me, and they are retiring.

And yet, I do like my job. Yesterday I went to the courthouse to support a former student who had been charged with felony battery and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. I adored this young man and just couldn't see him hurting anyone! Turns out, my instincts were right. He did not commit the battery and the court dropped that charge.

I am so upset about the drug charge. This young man just graduated from high school -- which is a real victory. School is not his style! He's enrolled in a trade school. I told him I'd try to help him get through the criminal justice system.

It is an honor to get know young people and to feel -- once in a while -- that you've actually helped someone. My days at school are hectic and intense, and I often feel that I'm treading water. It's easy to forget that I am lucky to be a part of a larger community.

3 comments:

  1. I have a lot of older friends too, and every year, one or two of them seem to be retiring, which makes me start thinking about it too!

    Your students are so lucky to have someone like you, who cares about them so much. I am not so patient with the students I have who throw opportunities away again and again, especially when politicians like to blame us teachers for the things they choose to do, like not dedicate any effort to school work. I do feel blessed to have had the opportunity to work with students who have everything stacked against them and choose to keep trying though. I'm spoiled, I think, because the recalcitrant students are the ones who need the most patience, and I work mostly with the high achievers. I will say that whiney honors students can be a challenge too. There's nothing I like better than to have one of them text me for help at ten o'clock at night, ha, ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've talked about this before and you are so right, we are lucky, even thou there are tough days sometimes. Hope your leg is healing. I assume you won't be making the trip to Williamsburg this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have a long way until retirement...I didn't start teaching until after I was 30 and in CT I have to put 35 years in......I'm not even halfway yet...

    this year was my toughest bunch of kids...lots of special ed, lots of behavior problems...all ELL...it was a tough, tough year....but I went to my first quincenara....and watched a bunch of my kids graduate high school..I had them in 2 and 3, I looped that year....

    ReplyDelete